Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Are sports REALLY that important?

Lately, I've been getting a lot of flack for NOT putting my kids in extra curricular activities. To that I say...screw you! Miles is just not that kid. He isn't athletically inclined. He's not terribly coordinated. And he really has had no interest at all.

Years ago I asked him if he wanted to try soccer or T-ball. He said very politely, "No thanks mom. Can I try a chess team?" And let me tell you, it's hard to find Chess for 4 year olds in Community Ed. So we just taught him ourselves.

Currently Miles is a 2nd grader. He's absolutely without a doubt the smallest kid in his class. And by kid I mean even smaller than the girls. But it doesn't phase him. I've told him for years, "You're going to be short. There's not much you can do about it. But you're smart and kind and that's cool with us." He's been riding that conversational wave for years now.

But this year, I've noticed other kids who treat him differently. They pat his head while they are in line to go to the library like he's a dog. Or they rest their elbows on his head. The kid who rests his elbow on his head is a little shit. When I see that happening I want to walk up to him, smack his elbow off my kid's head, and flick him right between the eyes. But I fear if I do that the teacher won't allow me to volunteer in the classroom anymore. Eh...who knows. That kid is such a little turd, she would probably give me a high five. But I don't want to test that theory.

Miles' closest friends right now are two boys who are hockey players. They are easily a head plus taller than him and are the proverbial jock. However. They are the nicest kids. NICEST! I would have them over to my house any day. I like them. A lot and I like their families a lot too.

Picking Miles up the other day from one of the friend's house I was talking with the mom about sports. She asked if Miles was in any. I said no. He hasn't shown any interest, and really I'm not terribly pushy with it. Her response is one I've heard before.

"How will he know what's available and out there if you don't have him try things?" What should my response be? "Because I don't WANT TO!" Or, "Because I loathe the idea of MAKING my kid do something that costs a billion dollars and he has no interest in it?" Or, "Do you really think making my kid play sports is gonna put him in the 'big show'?" Or, "I'm just lazy as fuck." Or, "Shut up!" Nah. I don't say that stuff. I just say, "Well I offer things to him and he says no thank you." End of story.

But for some reason, it is never an ok response. They keep lecturing me about it. Why?

Miles wants to do Tae Kwon Do. He has expressed interest in it. He is really fascinated with mixed martial arts. That's his dad's influence to be honest. But it is something he likes. The other stuff...not so much. So I'm researching different studios. And will most likely start him soon.

We asked Miles what he did with the boys and he said they played basketball.

Zoinks.

I asked him how he did, and he said, "Not so good mom." I asked him if the boys were mean about it, and he said, "No they helped me learn how to shoot the ball up higher." And then he told me they played PIG because then everyone had a turn. I seriously love those kids.

Next up. Explaining why I won't put my daughter in dance class. *sigh*

2 comments:

McVal said...

We don't follow sports on tv or real life unless our kids are in it. So our kids haven't really gotten into it either. My son did play high school football until he quit. The girls played soccer for one season each. My 17 year old runs cross country and I only think it started out because her boyfriend was too... Oh well. They're extremely busy in other pursuits, Taekwondo being one of them for my youngest. Good luck dealing with the other parents!

McVal said...

Oh! My girls were in ballet for one year each too. And various other things that we tried out. Nothing really stuck... And I didn't mind! There are tons of other things they're doing that keep us running from one event to the next anyway. I'm the only mother going "Yay!" when my son's little league team didn't win the last game and have to go on to finals! That was his only year...