Monday, January 11, 2010

*gulp*

Both my kids have recently been diagnosed with asthma. I don't know how they got it, but they have it. Miles' is strictly allergen induced. Claire on the other hand, well the poor thing is just an asthmatic.

I don't know how it happened. They aren't blood related at all. Both being adopted from completely different families. So I imagine it must be something in our house that is causing it. But we keep our house pretty darn clean as I am totally allergic to dust and mold. And the doctor assured me that kids get asthma. And more and more are being diagnosed with it. She said it is unlikely it is something in our house. Mainly because Miles' is allergy induced only.

I say oh well. But here's the *gulp* of it all. Set aside the fact my kids have not so great lungs and place me at Target pharmacy getting the Budesonide (for the nebulizers).

I went to the counter to pick up their prescriptions. Here is the conversation with the cashier.

Her: You realize this is for 2 different kids right?

Me: Yep. Weird right? (I totally want her to know I don't live in filth and my kids aren't second hand smoking 6 packs a day at my house.)

Her: Your insurance paid a little bit of it so that's good....but it's a little expensive.

Me: Yeah, I know. We pay 100% of everything until we reach our deductible and then the rest is covered by insurance. It's kind of nice.

Her: Good. Just wanted to make sure you weren't going to be surprised.

Me: Nope. Totally used to it, not a big deal at all.

Then the woman proceeded to ring me up. HOLY SHIT!

I looked at the screen to see "TOTAL DUE".....$569.95

Now, I understand medication can cost a lot, and many people pay much more than this, but it shocked me. A lot. When I hear the pharmacist tell me something is going to be "a little expensive", I think oh $100 maybe $150. But almost $600? Prepare a girl a little better please?

For 2 little damn boxes of the medication.

Of course I couldn't react, cause I was playing it cool to begin with....wouldn't want to let her think I was all talk. But thank the lord for the lady behind me who gasped so loud it scared me. (Like you don't look at what the person in front of you is paying for their shit.) So I got my meds. Two little boxes of 30 vials each.

I left the store and called Ryan right away with a, "HOLY SHIT! The fucking meds were almost $600!!!! What the fuck!!!"
Yeah.... all sense of cool went out the window at that point.

Oh well. At least my kids will be ok and we will meet our family deductible ASAP. That's good, cause I have many many Mayo Clinic visits coming up.

*side note on all of this....poor little Miles will now be "that" kid who has glasses, probably will need braces, asthma, only wants to join the chess team, and is obsessed with Star Wars. But he's gonna make me proud. I just know it.*

No comments: