Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I'm going to watch it even if it kills me


This year is the first year in......15 years that I have decided to voluntarily watch football. One tends to avoid such a sport that involves being beat senseless by your asshole of an ex husband if a specific team lost. And let me tell you...at the time, the losing team in question, was the Green Bay Packers. They were not great. And I had many a black eye from the losses. Yuck. Basketball season was even worse. But that's another story, and I will NEVER be interested in that sport.

But I am and have always been a Vikings fan. Secretly of course. But when Ryan and I met, he, out of complete courtesy, avoided watching football at all around me. Seriously...Best.Man.Ever.

A few years ago, I said to him, "you CAN watch football. I really don't care." And so it was.

Ryan began watching the Vikings with ferver. He really does love football. And I can't believe he held off watching for so many years. I never asked him to either. He just did it.

So this year I said, nay....announced, "I'm so going to watch the Vikings this year!"

I watched a bit last year. Just because, watching Brett Favre play for the Vikings was so in-your-face-stupid-abusive-ass-wipe-who-worshiped-Brett-Favre-so-much-when-he-lost-you-had-to-beat-your-wife. BEST GAME EVER when they killed Green Bay. Twice. Heh heh heh. But I digress.

Ryan and I watched the "big game" last night. The Vikings vs the Jets. So many things were built up about this game. New players that "should" help them win big. The dirt that is surrounding Brett and his old team the Jets. (Just to clarify, I don't agree with the article posted, I just think it explains what happened pretty well.) And so on.

But seriously. It was horrible. Like watching a train wreck. Ryan and I stayed up to the bitter end. Then I decided this:

MN football is like having sex for the first time. It's built up to be awesome, you have great expectations, everyone talks about it like it's gonna be the best thing of all time. And then....wah wah wahhhhhh...it's SO disappointing. But you always go back and try it again.

I'll still watch. Just for fun. But the cheerleader in me is not necessarily emerging.

1 comment:

McVal said...

We're sports agnostic.... at least that's what my husband says about it. We just don't follow sports and I only go to the HS games to cheer on my daughter in band and to visit with a friend who is there for the band also...
I just never really followed sports that much. But when I go a professional game, it's interesting and the food is great!