Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Not sure what to do here.

Well....I've been volunteering in Miles' classroom this year. It's been awesome. I love watching these kids learn. I love seeing him with his friends. I love hearing about what a great kid he is. I love knowing he is friends with EVERYONE in his class. I love watching other kids WANT to be his friend. He is a great, kind, friend to everyone in his class. Girls and boys.

And the girls really do love him. He's kind of unassuming. He's little and sweet. So they love him. I got a call from the gym teacher a few months ago telling me they had to ask some of the girls to stop kissing him during class. I mean...it could have been something like, "Miles can't run, jump or climb a rope. Sorry. He's puny." But no. I get, "Mrs. Teepants, I wanted to let you know Miles has had a couple of the girls kissing him. We've asked them to stop, but we had to inform you." Ha ha ha ha...I told Miles to enjoy it now. Cause well, and I didn't tell him this, but Miles is going to be a little guy, not athletic. He's going to have glasses, most likely braces, and he's got asthma. He loves Star Wars and video games. He is...in all reality going to be the cutest little Asian nerd in the world. He WILL be Sam Weir a la Freaks and Geeks. And I love it.

But...I also see how his "friends" behave. We had one of his little friends over one day after school, and I noticed, he's a little pistol. And when I say pistol...I mean he's kind of a little shit. But Miles and he have been friends since kindergarten. This is the boy who told Miles at the end of Kindergarten, "You know you're my best friend, and I'll miss you a lot. I'm moving to Florida." And then at open house for first grade, we saw that his little friend's desk was sitting right smack dab next to him. Wacky kid I tell ya.

This boy is very territorial over Miles. He is also, what I'm learning from other kids, the class bully. He pushes kids. He's rude to other kids. He name calls. He tells the other kids they're "stupid, dumb, idiot" and so on. Not sure what to do here.

On one hand, I don't want to be that parent who is all, "Over my dead body can you hang out with so and so." Cause knowing Miles he would listen to me and never talk to the kid again. And then do I really want Miles to be just one more kid this other boy picks on? Not sure Miles could handle that.

But...I would hate for people to eventually think that Miles isn't that nice boy. You know. Guilt by association? Ack! Too much to worry about. I know there are other things that will be much worse in the future when it comes to Miles and his friends. But for now, this is it.

In other not so shocking news, Claire is fascinated with her little baby boobs. She thinks she has them. And loves to show people. Oh lord, help.

1 comment:

McVal said...

Wow! Chick magnet at such a young age! Good for him! Sorry about the bully friend... Hopefully he'll figure it out on his own and start hanging out with other kids more.
The baby boobs thing cracked.me.up!