Saturday, January 22, 2011

Black Swan = Barf-o-rama


Well. After bitching incessantly on facebook AND twitter, to my BFF, about wanting to see this movie, it finally happened. (Yeah..that sentence didn't make much sense to me either, but go with it.)

This past Friday we were able to sneak away and see Black Swan. From what I remember, the movie was very good. The acting was amazing, and the story itself was mesmerizing. However...I don't remember much. I DO, however remember thinking to myself, "Are you fucking kidding me?"

The movie was so herky jerky, in the first 5 minutes of the movie, I was freaking out. I knew I was going to be in bad shape soon, and found myself praying through most of the movie for it to be over. It was worse than The Blair Witch Project, when it came to the motion of the camera.

Wikipedia ACTUALLY says THIS when you check out motion sickness:

Motion sickness due to films and other video

"In regular format theaters, an example of a movie that caused motion sickness in many people is The Blair Witch Project. Theater patrons were warned of its possible nauseating affects, cautioning pregnant women in particular. In this case, a camcorder was used to film the movie. As the camera was hand held, the camera was subjected to considerably more motion than the average movie camera."

Not cool right? Well it's taken me a day at least to get my bearings. I have no fucking idea what happened. I hate it. I mean...it was not right at all. Then Ryan reminded me, I had much difficulty watching this director's other movies due to the motions. The guy must think, "Oh I should totally use the hand held camera to make people uncomfortable. Yeah yeah...I am so going to win an Oscar for this shit!"

I was uncomfortable because I didn't want to barf my guts out in the theater. Talk about embarrassing. My BFF who can get motion sick, said she didn't have any problem with it. I was really shocked. I kept thinking, "What the fuck?" Either way, I drove home, and went right to sleep. That's the OTHER weird thing. We also had to cancel our plans for the night because I still didn't have a calm stomach. It was messed up.

Well...the movie itself was ok. It was sad and dark and compelling. I however, will remember it as the time I tried for 110 minutes NOT to barf in public.

Of course I was all about getting back up on the horse. Tonight we went to see an Omni Theater movie at the MN Science Museum. And during this movie, I have learned that my poor little Claire also gets motion sick from movies. We were soaring over the Rainforest, and I had my eyes closed. Then I felt a little tap on my arm and Claire's hot tiny breath whispered in my ear, "Mom, I feel kinda fall-y. My tummy hurts." So I closed her eyes and popped a little candy cane in her mouth and all was right in our motion sickness world. Poor kid, and she's adopted. It's just not right.

1 comment:

McVal said...

Oh! Poor thing! Both of you!!! I hate movies that make me feel like that. I almost upchucked at Polar Express at an Omnimax theater, so I know how she felt during that!