Thursday, November 3, 2011

Therapy is the new black

Well I'm just going to put it all out there now. (As if I haven't already) I've started going to therapy again. I went many many years ago after my divorce. I was diagnosed with PTSD. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Fucking A right it was. When you're beat daily and verbally abused for 3 years, it tends to mess a girl up. So I went. Did all the exercises, made all my appointments, and after quite sometime, I was able to move on from it. Not that there isn't some residual fall out from what I dealt with, but let me tell you, I'm not in the fetal position for a day because I "had a bad dream".

I'm not a girl who will let something that has happened to me DEFINE who I am. I don't like being held prisoner by my feelings.

So when events of my life, and how I feel about them, have creeped into my physical well being, I decided to FINALLY deal with it.

I went for the first time yesterday. Love the therapist. She's fabulous. In a one hour session, she was able to pinpoint what was happening and why. She was able to ask questions that I didn't even think about. She was able to find other things that may be contributing to my whatever it is. She's also testing me for Anxiety and situational depression. Sad right? I'm usually a pretty happy go lucky kind of person. I have a fabulous marriage, great kids, super friends and a supportive family that is unmatched.

However, there are things that are causing stress in my life, and I'm tired of being upset about it. So here I am. Talking about my feelings again. It's cool though. Half the world is in therapy, and the other half just doesn't know they need it yet.

Besides, I'm tired of being sick about every stupid little thing. It's getting old fast. So here's to a new and improved me. Yay me!

No comments: