Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Un-fricking-believe-able

Ha.....I have a friend who is Vietnamese. She and I have been comparing stories about how people...yes probably even you....assume we are Chinese.

We aren't.

It's quite possibly the rudest thing ever. My friend Sk3tch always tells me I'm Hmong. And he doesn't pronounce it like it should be. He puts the emphasis on the H. So it's more like....Ha mong. But...he's an idiot. That's why I love him.

My girlfriend and I just think it's a joke. Would you go up to someone, randomly, not know them at all, and demand to know if they were a certain ethnicity? I sure wouldn't.

And white people? Really? Please don't do it. It's bad enough when other Asians ask, but it's just as bad when Caucasians do it.

Don't ask us, "WHAT ARE YOU?" with a look of pure disgust. Or....ask the same question with eager anticipation like you're gonna win some fucking prize on a gameshow if you get it right. Again. You won't. Most likely you will receive "the face".

The "face", is a polite, sympathetic, side smile. We tell you very nicely, "no I'm not". I certainly don't think you deserve to know "what I am", and in my head I'm thinking, "you fucking idiot. I should ask if you have a mental defect." But all the while....I'm smiling at you.

Just tired of it I guess. And for the record, I'm Korean. Adopted by Caucasians. Raised in suburban MN in the 70's.

This has been your public service announcement for today. Thanks.

2 comments:

McVal said...

"My friend Sk3tch always tells me I'm Hmong"
lol! He TELLS you what you are? That's like saying, "Poof! You're Swedish!"
Your friend has some magical powers, that one...

SJT said...

McVal...funny. Magical powers? No. Smart ass? Definitely. But we all have a Sk3tch in our life don't we?