Saturday, December 12, 2009

I've had enough thank you very much

Last night was horrible. I took poor little Miles to the doctor yesterday after school because he was clearly sick. Yep...all indications were for sinus infection. How an infection got into his little tiny nose I'll never know, but he has one.

The pediatrician prescribed some med I haven't heard of before, and off we went. He was fine after some Motrin. The doctor said, "he's not contagious with sinus infections, go ahead and do what you want...he should be fine." Famous last words.

So, Miles hearing this, decided he felt good and wanted to go to my parents house for dinner. He was fine until mid dinner time.

He stopped eating, put his fork down, and told us, "my chest hurts." Ugh. I had given him one dose of the medication. And because he had never had it before, I was worried he may be having a bad reaction to it. So I had him sit down and watch tv for a bit. But his breathing got really labored. I called the clinic. They said, "get him to urgent care or the ER."

So we were about 25 miles from our house, and my parents had no clue as to where an urgent care clinic was. So we packed Miles in the car and tried to drive home.

This...was not happening. For some reason, it was bumper to fucking bumper at 7pm last night. I don't know what was going on, but it was freaking Ryan out. And at that point in the drive, Miles was having a tough time staying awake...so HELLO ER!!

We found our way to a hospital about half way between my parents house and our house. Ryan's parents came to pick up Claire, and we sat.

After some work up and all, it was decided by the physician, that Miles spiked a fever so fast and so high, his body went into a bit of shock, hence the shaking, labored breathing, and all and all panic. No panic on my part however. I'm like a rock, until it's all over, then I turn into a sloppy pile of melted jello. But damn-it if I'm not cool as a cucumber when it all goes down.

So he's home. Medicated. No fever now, but that's all thanks to Motrin and Tylenol. Hopefully the antibiotic he was given will get rid of the sick. He's NOT allergic to it either. Thank god.

But...I don't ever want to do this again. Having my kid in the ER looking like he is passing out cause his breathing isn't good...No thank you. I know many people have dealt with this before, and I am certainly not the first, but I would prefer to never have to do it again.

2 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I hope your little guy is much better. Oh and by the way, it is a GOOD thing to remain calm when your child is sick!

Aun Raza said...

We know exactly how you feel Sue. I've had to take Zoya to the ER 5-6 times over the past year. She was actually admitted overnight just a couple of weeks ago because she was having trouble breathing - steroids, nebulizer... the works. Normally follows a cold, and mostly in the winter. Make sure you monitor his breathing whenever he has a cold. Anything above 36-38 breaths per min is a sign that his body is running out of oxygen. Anyways, I hope he's doing better and you guys don't have to go through this again.