Thursday, December 3, 2009

Worst. Christmas. Songs. EVER.

Ok..here's the deal. My kids and I LOVE Christmas music. I don't know why. But it makes me feel happy to hear all these silly old traditional holiday tunes. My favorite thing to do, is to decorate the house for the holidays with my kids and listen to Christmas music. I Heart the old songs by Perry Como or Bing Crosby. And who doesn't like Elvis' Blue Christmas? They make me feel warm and fuzzy.

But recently I have heard these two songs incessantly! These songs make me angry. Very angry.

The first one is ridiculous. What makes me the most angry is I cried the first time I heard the damn thing. Ok...to be fair, I had PMS, and I was sick.....so....there's that. But EVERYTIME after that I loathe it. Basically, I don't think that Christmas songs should make you think of death. I'm just sayin'. I have copied the chorus of this song below.

Christmas Shoes By Bob Carlisle
"Sir I wanna buy these shoes for my Momma please
It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size
Could you hurry Sir?
Daddy says there's not much time
You see, she's been sick for quite a while
And I know these shoes will make her smile
And I want her to look beautiful
If Momma meets Jesus, tonight."

SERIOUSLY!!! And they have a little kid singing that part too. And it's a *gasp* country song. Gah!

The second isn't so much a bad song, but one line annoys the hell out of me. We all know it. It raised a shitload of money for people in Africa living with AIDS back in the early early 80's, but just read the line I posted. I don't need Bono telling me that I'm lucky. I know I am. It just seems like rubbing it in at that point in the song.

Do They Know It's Christmas Time? By Band Aid
"Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you"


NOW to put things back where they belong....


Don't you feel warm and fuzzy now? I do.

2 comments:

McVal said...

My kids love it when Christmas shoes come on because the first year they played it, I cried every time. They think it's funny when I cry. Is this a bad sign?
This year tho, I've got ammunition. I've told myself that the little kid is a little con artist. He's gone into that store for those shoes and he KNOWS he only has pennies to pay for it... I don't think his mom was really dying at all! He's really a grifter.

SJT said...

A grifter! Hilarious McVal!