Sunday, September 12, 2010

First grade and Kinderstart. And a mom with no sleep

Oh brother. Where to begin with THIS post. Ugh.

Miles started First grade on Tuesday. Drop off was NOTHING like last year. He was a happy Star Wars clad fool! Seriously. I don't think he could have been happier, or more excited for all day school, lunch, and recess. Not to mention seeing a friend of his who told him last year, "I'm moving to Florida. I'll miss you best friend." We found out last week at Meet the Teacher night that his friend would sit just 2 rows over from him in class. Hilarious.

So this is my happy Star Wars kiddo. I'm not joking about the Star Wars. He was wearing his Star Wars shirt, Star Wars backpack, Star Wars lunch box, and I'm pretty sure he was wearing his Star Wars underwear.

Claire's first full day without her brother was tough. I think she had a hard time. The kids play together all the time, and she just kinda watched her movie, sighing now and again, and then looked over at me with a face that said, I-don't-know-what-to-do-with-myself-I'm-all-alone-in-the-world. She was almost as pathetic as this scene from The Jerk minus all the collecting of shit.



She just watched her little Barbie movie and hung out with me and my mom. It was pathetic.


Once Miles got home, he was bouncing off the ceiling. This boy LOVES school! He loves every single thing about it. WHEW! I wasn't sure. The all day school thing was a bit nerve wracking for me, but...he's still alive and still loving it.

Claire also started a new class at her preschool. It's called Kinderstart. She loves it too, but after the end of last year, I wasn't sure how she'd do. She cried every day last year from March until just about the last week of school. It was very odd, since she was fine for the first part of her year. Oh well...

Claire feels like she is a "big" kid now that she can: write her own name, my name and Miles' name just from memory, recite her phone number and address, and tie her own shoes. I am not kidding. I have no idea where she learned all this stuff. Miles can't tie HIS own shoes even if there was a Star Wars blaster to his head.

Claire on her first day!

Claire in mid shoe tie. She's serious about this shoe tying business.

I know you're all dying to know, "how did mom fair during this transition?" Let me tell you. I faired shitty. S-H-I-T-T-Y!

I got no sleep. None. Ryan was out of town for the week in South Carolina, and the kids slept in my room. Claire didn't go to sleep until after 10 every night. I have NO idea why. And I had to be up by 5:45 or 6 every morning. And let me tell you. It was usually 5:40 because I was sweating the whole getting the kids to school on time thing.

Miles has to be in the car ready to go at 7:50. It doesn't seem that early, but when you have a kid who eats breakfast like it's their last meal, and savors every bite they take, even when every bite takes 10 minutes each to put in his damn pie hole....*sigh* breathe......it takes a while. And I have to wake crabby, tired, no going to sleep at a decent time, little miss morning tantrum, Whoooo hoooo! It's a great time in the Teepants house at around 6:15 am. Thank god most people's windows are shut. How embarrassing. For them.

Eh..set aside all the sleep issues, I had meetings up the wahzoo. Who knew being the VP of the preschool's PTO would involve so much "meeting". I mean, don't get me wrong. Most, if not all, the meetings were necessary. We have the big fall fundraiser coming up, so we're all kinds of kicking it into high gear...but...I'm tired. So I'm salty about it.

And then I met with an attorney to get some estate planning done. Don't even get on me about NOT having that done yet. It's not the most pleasant thing to be discussing when my husband is out of town. But we decided it was time. Well...it involved yet another meeting. And I had to bring Claire with me. Mistake.

She's usually a good kid. But for some reason, sitting in a sterile office with a lady who spoke major monotone, juuuuussstttt about killed my kid. Because I was gonna kill her. She was crazy interrupting us. Ugh! And then find out a few thousand dollars later...yes THOUSAND dollars, I told her I'd get back to her. Because holy shit balls! She changed her rates from the last time I spoke with her. What the hell lady!?! Another thing Ryan and I need to talk about.

So....here it is...the kids survived the firsts of school. I survived. And we do it all over again tomorrow. Ryan leaves today for South Carolina AGAIN. But...I have no meetings this week. And I get to go power walking with my friends when Claire is in class.

Should be an easier week for all. Let's fucking hope so.

1 comment:

McVal said...

I hope you have a better week this week. I'm so glad Miles is loving school! and I LOVE the Jerk!
All I need is this thermos. And this chair. and...