Wednesday, September 22, 2010

It's a sad day in suburbia.


Today Ryan and I took the kids to our local "kids hair cutting place". And it's in our neighborhood. A very diverse neighborhood for suburbia, thank you very much.

But today. It was like we were in some kind of fucking-racist-alternate-suburban-universe.

Here's what went down.

When the stylist called us up, Claire and I walked to the desk. Then this wack job of a lady had her little boy with her and asked the stylist, "Do you have specific stylists for each kid?" Our lady said, "No, who ever can get to them in the order they arrive is how it works. Did you want some one specific?" The woman said, "No, I just don't want my son sitting in the seat after THAT girl."

All the while she was looking at Claire like she had flesh eating virus, or like Claire was covered in shit and smelled like it too. Our stylist didn't quite get it, and in the split second that she did, you could see it spread across her face, like...WHAT THE FUCK LADY?

Then they got her kid another stylist.

Now......I've dealt with racist idiots many times in my 36 almost 37 years. HOWEVER. Let me be CRYSTAL clear. I have NEVER had anyone give my kids the stink eye like that, and flat out refuse to have her kid near mine. I was so shocked, I couldn't do anything. But I sadly admit I cried in the car on the way home.

Not because Claire had any idea about what happened.....and I kept my voice down when telling Ryan. But because, really bitch? It's 2010! I was so frustrated and saddened by the whole thing. Ugh. I just wanted to rant and rave and tell her how her racist attitude is going to get her "hurt" in the parking lot. But I'm an adult, according to Claire. And I have to be able to set the GOOD example for my kids. Because they will have to deal with it on their own eventually.

And damnit if Ryan didn't take the high road by saying, "She's the one who has to live with herself." Fuck that. I wanted to cut the bitch.

1 comment:

McVal said...

wow. I'm so sorry that happened!
Are you sure it was racism and Claire didn't just cut one as she walked past them into the joint?