Friday, November 26, 2010

Our Holiday Traditions

There are three things I do the day after Thanksgiving.
1: Shop like a mother fucker.
2: Get Christmas Ornaments (more on that)
3: Set the house for Christmas. Tree and all the stuff.

Let's begin with number 1. It was a cold son of a bitch today. I woke at 2:15AM, showered, and left to get my mom and sister to stand in front of Target 1 hour before it opened. We were there at 3 am. I wanted to get Claire a keyboard. It was half price and it was the EXACT one she wanted. I didn't HAVE to go, but I love her and I wanted to.

It was cold. So cold that when you sniff in, your nostrils freeze together. I think it was 9 degrees with a wind chill below zero. And yes, we stood outside of Target for 50 minutes. Dumb. But I do it every year. I've done it since I was 17. Today was my 20 year anniversary of stupidity and saving money. Meh.

So there is this long line of folks. And some howdy-do woman comes sauntering up and cuts off at least 150 people. There was quite a kerfuffle, and then when security came up to ask her to go to the END of the line, she said, "I didn't know you had to stand in line." Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha........wait for it.........ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. That woman was on some kind of crazy shit. The guy behind us said, "lady...seriously? There are 300 people standing here. IN LINE!"

I was able to make very nice purchases. Ryan and I make a list. Then I go for it. It's almost a full contact sport.

Then on to number 2. Get Christmas Ornaments. When Ryan and I first met, we decided we wanted to have our own little tradition of sorts. He used to join in the shopping torture with me and my mom, but after the second year, he knew he was in with the family and had no need to impress. So we decided when I was done with all my shopping, we would go to Target (those corporate-monopolizing-giants-who-get-all-my-money-weekly) and we would pick out an ornament. It's been years now, and we have a really cool collection of ornaments.

When we got the kids, we allowed them to choose one too. They love this tradition and we hope to keep it going.

Guess who's is who's.





And third, we always put up our Christmas decorations and tree the day after. It's something my parents did when we were kids, and I love it.

This year was especially different and pretty damn amazing. The kids decorated the ENTIRE tree by themselves. It looks fabulous! And I got to drink wine. Best Christmas Tree puttin' up EVER!

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

McVal said...

My hubbys family had that tradition of getting more ornaments every year too. Then when we got married, he got a shoebox full of them for us to start off with. By now, we've got tons and boxes upon boxes of them and each one is special. I suppose when the kids move away and start their own families, we'll pull out the ones they've made throughout the years and let them take them with them.
My tree will be bare!