Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Gone are the days.........

You probably don't remember this. I sure don't. But I bet my mom does. And I KNOW my grandmother would. The days of dressing to go anywhere.

Mad Men is coming on again this weekend. And let me tell you. It's fancy dressing all the time.  Even their leisure wear is fancy. 


I was at the market today. I had run there right after I brought the kids to school. And before I planned to work out. I was certainly NOT the only woman in the store wearing yoga pants, a sweatshirt, and running shoes. (Let me be clear though, I don't run. But I hate the term TENNIS shoes. Cause I don't play tennis either.)  It seems to be the outfit of choice when shopping for food at 8:30am in suburban MN.

But it got me thinking. I remember, people talked about getting "Dressed" for things. Like running to the market. To the corner store. Or out to dinner. I do none of that. I'm lucky if my jeans are clean and I've showered. 

Sure. I'm lazy. I could try harder. But I just said I'm lazy. And I never go places that warrant a fancy set of duds. I go places like Super Target, Trader Joe's, Costco. I rarely go out to dinner. And when I do, it's Wendy's night for school or pizza at the local pizza place. See...heels and a brocade dress wouldn't work. 

I want to wear clothes like in the photo above. I want to look stylish and retro and cool and chic. I haven't worn a dress since....well......hmmmm.....I can't even remember. But it's been a long time. The fanciest thing I do is get my hair cut every 6 months or so, and go to the chiropractor. 

Don't get me wrong. I love my life. It's full. And fun. But it really lacks in the glamour department. Anyone who knows me is saying....."SJT...you are not that fancy." I mean...I want to be. Maybe I'll make a change. 

Or maybe I'll just go to the Gap and get another pair of jeans and a sweatshirt.

No comments: