Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th!


Today was a spectacular day. We started off doing nothing. That's how I like to spend my weekends.

But we had people coming over so I had to get out of my pj's at some point. But really, they weren't scheduled until 3 so what was the rush?

We had a nice leisurely brunch. Then on to "getting ready" for company. That involves, cleaning the bathroom and shutting my bedroom door.

Friends came. Amy, her husband Ron and their 2 kids. Rachel and her husband Dan. I went to HS with all but Dan. It was quite an evening.

We ordered pizza, because accommodating all those people was out of the question. Besides, Ron is the pickiest eater this side of Miles. Truly. The running joke was that we were going to have 3 different pizza deliveries. The last time I had pizza with Ron and Amy, I was at their house, and I shit you not, they had two different pizza places pass each other on the walkway to the house. It's awesome.

Pizza satisfactorily devoured, and brownie sundaes. Seriously. I make a mean brownie sundae.

The kids trashed the house. No surprise. And the grown ups talked about old times, iPhone games, running, shoes, and whatever else we could think of.

We decided since it wasn't ever going to rain we would venture to the St. Paul fireworks display. Best idea of the night! We met at the Science Museum and they shoot them off right below where we were standing.

The crowd around us was interesting to say the least. I mean....I think for one of the first times the people I was with, were the minority. There were few white folks. Very few. I believe the Asians were the majority.

And some of the people there were just....classy. Wow. And by classy I mean...yowza. NOT CLASSY.

Once the first fireworks went off, Claire's face was like, "whoa!" and everyone settled down. Amy and Ron's daughter who is 9 was very concerned she wouldn't see the fireworks cause the guy in front of her was so tall. Eh...she was fine once she realized they were going off about 50 feet above her and the building we were standing by.

Pluses and minuses standing in such a large crowd. Plus...no bugs for some reason. And it was a hot a humid night. Minus....sweaty business, and stinky people all over the damn place. And when you're short like me...it's gross. And stinky. Plus, the kids stayed very close to us because they didn't want to get lost. Minus, still hot and it was still smelly.

In the end, I giggled like a little girl when the finale came, cause I love it. And Claire loved that part too. Miles was very inquisitive regarding the how and the what with the fireworks. At one point he asked Ryan if they were magic. I love that.

We waited downtown for traffic to clear. All the while watching the kids turn cartwheels in a big grassy area, and chatting with Dan and Rachel.

Great 4th of July. Thanks friends.

No comments: