Thursday, May 28, 2009

Are pigs flying?

I have a good friend who has changed so drastically, I can't even believe it. I tell her on a regular basis she should knock it the hell off, and bring me back my friend. I will admit, she is great either way. I consider her a friend no matter what.

When I first met her, she was a no nonsense kinda lady. She was this little spit-fire, who wore clicky heels that, clickety-click-clacked down the halls at our job. She always wore dresses or skirts. She wore jewelry. Her apartment was clean. Very clean.

And when she talked about kids, she would tell me she thought they were "not cute". And that she didn't want any, cause they don't talk. She claimed she would hate to be stuck with one who couldn't tell her what they wanted. This is the same woman who told me, "I never tell my friends their kids are cute. I just tell them, I'm happy for you."

She is the one, who at barely five feet tall, could drink just about any guy under the table while playing pool or darts. She also smoked like a chimney.

Jump ahead, oh say, 6-7 years. She has 3 kids. All girls. Very girly. She stays at home with her 3 girls. They are 5, 3, and almost 1. And they were all planned. I have to say, her friends, the collective "we", were so shocked at the first kid, when the second was born we didn't know what to do. Had the world gone mad?

My friend has started, and this is hard for me to write out, so hold on.....

has started, baking homemade breads, sewing, gardening, and, quit smoking and drinking. I know I know....seriously. Talk about shift in lifestyle. She wears jeans now. And sometimes when I go to her house for a playdate, *gasp* the house isn't clean! Oh my damn!

So I wonder. How have I changed? I always knew I would have kids. That I would be THIS mom I am now. Not that I would have known I would stay at home with them. But I knew I would be very involved with their lives.

Does everyone make such dramatic changes in their lives when kids and marriage are introduced? I didn't think so, but hey....she is proving me all wrong.

Here is one of our Facebook exchanges: I commented on her becoming a fan of sewing. SEWING! For the love!

ME: Oh my god. I never would believe this. EVER. I refuse to believe it. REFUSE!!!!!

HER: really? After curtains, pillows, skirts...if the kids would just watch movies all day long I'd get a lot sewn! ;)

ME: No. I just don't want to hear about it. You can't be into sewing. I just witnessed the baking, and I am still reeling from that...No to the sewing.....Just say no friend (I changed this. I had her name here)

HER: would gardening be too much for you?

ME: Oh Jesus...you're killing me.

HER: LOL :)

Well....friend.....I still love ya. Even if you have de-throned me as the Korean Martha Stewart. All hail the new queen. And watch out for people who may spontaneously combust. Cause apparently, anything old fucking thing can happen now.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I know who you are talking about! Wowee! Sewing? Really? No more beer? Really? Oh my damn.