Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My BFF

My BFF is sick. Oddly over the years, we have been sick with the same things. Seriously. She gets sick. And then a few weeks, days later I get the same symptoms. Or vice versa. It is a little strange.

When I first met her, she was dating Ryan's best friend. Who was also at the time my roommate. Ryan and his BFF worked for her dad as well. Fixing pagers and cell phones. Yes...Ryan has ALWAYS been a techie geek.

I didn't try to get to know her. And frankly, I think she thought I was a bit too chipper for her taste. And in my defense, I was pretty excited about the Apple Orchard when she called...so there's that. But...we decided we should be friends because our husbands grew up together, were friends, and really were like brothers. So "J" and I became friends.

At first we were "friends". But something changed. We grew to rely on each other for all types of things. Ryan and I are godparents to their kids. And they are godparents to ours.

We have seen each other through babies, loss of babies, sickness, family drama, and just about everything else you can think of.

She is someone I can talk to on the phone everyday about nothing. But when it's important, she'll listen. And we share everything with each other. I mean EVERYTHING. Things our husbands don't want to hear about, and probably things we wouldn't tell them anyway.

Some of my best memories are with her. We laugh a lot. Even when we are sick. We call each other, and laugh about stupid shit. It's what we do.

In the past, there have been times we haven't always "connected" so well. But we are able to be honest with each other and work through it.

I think I'm lucky. I have 3 sisters. And then I have "J". She's closer to me then my own sisters sometimes.

What prompted this mushy love letter to my BFF you ask? Simple. I found this photo today. It was taken years ago on some trip to the Boundary Waters. Some things are just nice to see NOT change.

Oh yeah, she's taller then me too.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I have one of her too!!!! "L". Met in college and she has been stuck with me since the Fall of 1992! LOVE her! So GLAD you have one.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Thank you, sweetie, for you good thoughts sent my way. Thanks for being there for my little girl...

McVal said...

That's so sweet! I've got a BFF too that is like that. But then I have 6 sisters too that are like that.
You can just call them up and talk about anything and they always take time to listen.

Jilly said...

I thought you were gonna say I'm sick like "dope" or "rad" or "awesome". I am all of those things...hee hee. Oh and I'm apparently a giant too. For the love of God woman...you be short!!!