Saturday, August 1, 2009

Purple fingers....not a new fashion statement

Last night I SLAVED over Miles' birthday cake. R2-D2. Oh my lord. I am not a cake decorator, despite my baking ability. But I attempted to use fondant.

It was terrible. It was like rolling out a very nice pie crust. However, coloring it? Whole other story.

You have to use this gel food coloring. Fine. Just a little bit and then kneed it into the fondant. Gross. The colors were blue and black. Then I used silver edible paint for the silver part.

My fingers are purple. Under my nail bed? It looks like I was gardening and just didn't give a shit about washing my hands. Ugh.

And to top it all off....when I was done, my almost 5 year old informed me I didn't do a part correctly. He wasn't being a dick. He was being a geek. A 5 year old Star Wars geek. If you have one, you know what I'm talking about. If you ARE one...sorry.

Anyway...here it is. In it's Star Wars glory.

Like I said...I am NOT a cake decorator. But I have a semi happy almost 5 year old.
And for Claire's cake, which needs to be made for next week's "girly birthday tea party"? I will be ordering cupcakes. Shaped into a butterfly. Thank you Super Target.

And yes, I have 2 kids with birthdays 2 days apart. I know you feel a little sorry for me.

*I also hate my kitchen floor. Just putting that out there.*

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I would have killed someone for that when I was young.

McVal said...

What a fabulous cake! The best cake my mom ever made for me that I remember was a barbie cake. The skirt is baked in a round bottom bowl and then you shove the barbie in the top (after you flip it) and decorate the skirt. I still remember it. This will live in his memories forever! I was a Star Wars geek when the original came out and I didn't notice anything wrong with this...

SJT said...

McVal...you didn't notice it cause I "had" to change it. I'm that mom I guess.

Heidi said...

You are FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE the cake! I may need to hire you to do one for one of my boys some day! :)

Why don't we like kitchen floors? Read this on FB too....just curious. I must be out of the loop on that one!