Saturday, August 29, 2009

Oh Joan Cusack..you are one funny lady!

I just watched a "made for Lifetime" movie, 'Acceptance'. Staring Joan Cusack. She is hilarious. I love her.

Lifetime movie you ask? Yep. I may have 2 kids and be a stay at home, but I also have bad insomnia and a DVR. Lifetime movies...well they make me feel a tiny bit better about not sleeping at 3 in the morning. I mean....they are mindless, women-centric, fluff. And it pretty much helps me sleep after a while. I used to watch QVC and HSN to fall asleep, but that didn't help. The people would just annoy me. I've tried reading too, but I find I get so caught up in whatever book I'm reading, it seems fairly counter productive.

Anyway....getting back to Joan.....I find her very very entertaining. She always plays the super quirky, goofy faced sidekick, or "stick in the mud/stick up the ass" teacher/mother/sister/friend. But she does it with much humor.

This movie I watched, it was ok. But that Joan. Hilarious. She plays a rich mother who doesn't know her "troubled" teen and can't relate to her at all. I mean...major teen angst. There is the 'rebel' clothing, the blue hair, the screw-you-world attitude, and of course, with a Lifetime movie, there's some kind of destructive behavior. In this particular movie it's cutting.

Joan is the mother who doesn't get it, pushes her kid too far and then realizes in the end her daughter is a wonderful person who needs help because she and her husband really are the ones who screw up their kid. But she plays it in a way, that I was laughing during most of the scenes she was in. I think it's the way she scrunches up her face. Or looks wide eyed at her kid waiting for her kid to "get it". Or her voice. Hilarity.

The best part about this movie, is the story line. It is touted as a movie about teens and what they do to get into college. And the pressures to be accepted to their #1 college of choice. Stupid really. But it had Joan in it, so I recorded it. If I had Tivo, it would have recorded it for me without my asking. I miss my Tivo. Cause Tivo knew what I liked. Tivo loved me unlike stupid DVR, which I have to program myself all the time. And Tivo just knew what I wanted and gave it to me no questions asked....sorry...side tracked for a sec.

I have often loved the movies Joan does with her brother John too. (This has nothing to do with my re-occurring dream about John Cusack being my boyfriend either. Jump down to #18 ) My favorite being Say Anything. Although she plays that character pretty straight. I would say one of her most out there roles would be in Sixteen Candles. What with the head gear and all....trying to drink from the water fountain....Oh lord.

Clearly I'm tired. Clearly I have overdosed in the land of make believe, if I am writing a post regarding my love of Joan Cusack. Clearly I have a problem. Clearly.

*post written at 4 am* Sad really.

1 comment:

McVal said...

I tried to comment yesterday, but google blogspot was acting very stupid. I love Joan Cusack!
But John Cusack! WOW! I always told my husband that John Cusack would be the only man I ever left him for.
For my sister, it's Sean Hannity...
We're a strange bunch.