Sunday, April 19, 2009

I think Ryan's worried about it.

So again...reading the Sunday paper and there is a fascinating article titled, "As Boomers care for their parents, who will care for them?" By Jeremy Olson. St. Paul Pioneer Press

It's on the front page. And of course I had to read it as, well, my parents are said boomers.

Basically it says that the boomer generation has fewer children to take care of them in old age. Due to there being so many baby boomers and some choosing not to have kids or having kids later in life. There aren't enough of us to go around. Us meaning Generation X or Y or a bit older....you get it.

I have always known I was gonna take care of my parents as they got older. It starts out easy like, packing groceries at the store, cutting the grass or shoveling once in a while, moving furniture for them, and just little things around the house. I'm not convinced they CAN'T do this stuff. They just don't want to. Ehhh...whatever. I mean I live a good 20 miles from them so it's not like I do things every day for them. It's when I have to shower them, change them, wait on them hand and foot, and basically become their indentured servant that I dread.

I am also one of four girls. I am the oldest. Two of my sisters are completely unable to assist my parents in anyway shape or form. One lives in California and the other lives in a group home. I am already her guardian/conservator. My youngest sister Cindi is 27. And as stated in an early post, she has moved back in with my parents with her almost 5 year old son. Temporarily mind you. So for now...she is the lackey for the "I don't want to do this shit, shit." Heh heh....That's ok. Cause as my BFF and the online urban dictionary says...I gonna get my come-uppins.

My parents and my godmother have joked for years that they are all gonna live in my basement with the "shrooms" Oh yeah...my godmother is probably going to be my responsibility too. Her daughter is pretty selfish and lives in Las Vegas with her kid. She just isn't in the place to take care of her mom when the time comes. I don't mind. My godmother is a second parent to me, so it's just natural.

But today, Ryan and I were talking about it...of course prompted by this article. And he says to me, "your parents are gonna live with us aren't they?" I just looked at him with the face that said....no duh! You know, eyebrows raised and my mouth just turned up slightly in the corner. Poor Ryan.

His parents have told me there is NO WAY they are gonna be a burden on their kids. I think they mean it too. I mean they still help us with shit now and then..so...whatev. And besides...it's not my issue. Ryan has 2 older sisters. And one of them lives behind her parents.

I just keep thinking what it would be like to live with my parents again. Old, ornery, incontinent, and bored. Oh. Fuck. Me. And I thought 2 kids was tough.

Thankfully it will be a while. My dad is so like my grandmother. He will fight tooth and nail to stay in his OWN house. My grandmother was blind and all and refused to move. She passed in her house. Just the way she wanted. Sadly my mom will be pushing for condo city as soon as she hits 70. I know it. And it won't be long. But she also has no qualms in living with us or having me take care of them. I helped my mom and her 5 siblings care for my grandparents before they passed away. IT'S WHAT YOU DO. I get that. I know that. It's ingrained in me. But she had 5 other brothers and sisters to help. I have one. Just one. And I happen to think my parents are much more demanding then my grandparents were. I'm just sayin'.

So....here I am. 35 and wondering when the first shoe is gonna drop. Cause Ryan will need some kind of get away. He loves my parents but my mom can make him BON-KERS! Yep I used the high sing song voice for that one too.

Imagine what the posts will be like then. Oh brother. The first one will be more of an SOS then a post.

"Getting a bigger house for parents, godmother and the 'shrooms'. Send liquor by the barrel please."

1 comment:

Heidi said...

First of all. The Sunday paper seems to cause some anxiety! Maybe you shouldn't read it, however I do realize that you want to be kept up to date on the world and your local community.....if you read the Hutchinson paper it would only have to be on Tuesday and Thursday and then your Sunday could be filled with something other than a conversation about taking care of our parents...my Mom PROMISES to never live with me, just as close as she can if my Dad happens to "go first". Hoping that doesn't happen, neither of them for that matter, but it would be fun to have my Mom closer!