Saturday, April 25, 2009

Seriously Suburbs? Seriously?

Wanna hear the oh-my-fucking-god story for the week?

I live in the suburbs of St. Paul. Very harmless. VERY suburban. VERY. We moved into a newer neighborhood when we bought this house. It is a quiet street. Lots of kids. No crime, no shenanigans, no monkey business. There is one entrance in and out of our neighborhood. Just one. So little to no traffic. And the kids are free to play in the streets, without fear of being hit by cars.

People know each other. People look out for each other's kids. We watch each other's homes when we are out of town. It is a good neighborhood.

I have talked a few times here about my neighbor who is a St. Paul police officer, who I found out has been promoted to Sergeant. I don't know the distinction, but he is cool. He also works SWAT for the Department. I have no worries here. We are friends. Our kids play together. We have dinner and drinks together on occasion.
All around good guy. And as my friend Brian said...."I wouldn't mess with him!"

We always share neighborhood goings on. He likes to know the happs. And since I stay at home and talk to a lot of the moms....we chat. He gets the goods and then follows up if it seems a bit shady. For instance. We have a HUGE white house at the entrance of our neighborhood. It is gigantic. And it was sold about 2 years ago. Maybe less. Anyway, I heard through the neighborhood grapevine, the owners were renting it. On Craigslist. Room by room. Eh. I don't care about that. I actually lived in a house like that. Cheap. But it was in a college neighborhood. So he diligently checked it out. As well as some of the other neighbors who are more busy bodies then I would care for. But they called the county to make sure the house had been "homesteaded" correctly for renters. It had.

So the other day, we were in the yard with our kids. (His wife is pregnant and expecting their 3rd.) His wife and I were just sitting on the steps and Ryan and him were doing their best to run the kids down for the night....nice right? And he says to me all the sudden, "You won't believe the neighborhood gossip I've got for you!"

Apparently there is another St. Paul officer who lives in the neighborhood. He has done more checking on that house. Why? I have no idea. But who am I to complain.

He found out the house is not homesteaded correctly. At least not to rent out to about 7 different families. And to top it off....it's being investigated. Why you ask? Well how about this.

There are 2 women who have been hooking out of it, and advertising their "goods and services" on Craigslist.

Yeah. We walk the kids by there every night. On our "family" walk after dinner. I thought it was poor form when they had that damn kid, who couldn't have been more then 2, in a diaper, on the front steps with them while they were smoking whatever, in the middle of the late fall early winter. Poor kid. Now I come to find out we have our own trashy red light district.

Oh well. I guess we have a full service neighborhood. It could or could not be a selling point on MLS listings for houses on our street.

4BR 5BA house on quiet street with door to door hooker service.

I know people who would love it. And the economy is for shit, so....a girl's gotta work. Right?

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Unbelievable! There is a house for sale on our street and two in the works! Come on over.

Kelly said...

Sounds like one of the best things that could have possibly happened to your neighborhood. I mean, your stale neighborhood.

Sorry.