Sunday, November 30, 2008

Christmas trees and my worst nightmare


We decorated the tree on Friday. The kids had a lot of fun. I was not in the holiday spirit. There are less decorations on the tree then usual and less decorations around the house. But it looks pretty festive. They did enjoy looking at all the old photos on ornaments from when they were "babies". Claire insisted there was "baby me" on one of them. She is funny. She also said, "where is one with me like a big boy?" Claire has decided that she is a big boy like her brother. When should I tell her she is a girl? Oh well.

Back to why I wasn't in the holiday spirit. Ryan said it was because I didn't have my transition day of shopping. After serious thought. I realized he was right. I didn't get to shop. I didn't have the Christmas tunes drilled into my head while red and green glassed over my eyes for an entire day. I didn't have to fight crowds of people who were also caught up in the holiday rush. Sad. I am pathetic. I need to shop in mass quantity to feel Christmasy? Man I have got to get into. This calls for holiday music all day. Good thing my sister Cindi isn't going to be here today. She hates Christmas songs. What is wrong with her?

On another note. Something that is truly terrifying to me. Our neighbor has a holiday party every year the Saturday after Thanksgiving. He is 24. He has lots of friends who come to his parents house to eat, drink, and video game. Last year we went for a bit and they were totally engrossed in Rockband. It was fun. Some of his friends are highly highly meant for the stage.

This year however, there was a new game out. Something about killing zombies and what not. An online multi-player game. Left for Dead. Yuck. I did everything in my power to keep the kids away from that.

Imagine the scene if you will. We went down stairs and there were tables set up all over the place. Computers and flat screen monitors next to each other like some kind of geeked out computer lab. One of the dudes had made his own computer. Ryan checked it out and said it was cool and it had a water cooling system in it. I always thought water and electronics didn't go together. And it was taller then Miles.

So all these 20 something dudes are playing video games. Against each other mind you, but not talking. It completely weirded me out. I asked one of the guys who was playing, what in fact he was playing. He didn't even look me in the eye and said, "warcraft". I must have had the "what?" silence cause he looked up and said with pure exasperation, "WORLD of Warcraft".

Duh! I swear I became the old lady in the room in an instant. OMG! I could feel the eyes lifting from the monitors and shifting towards me. It was like they were wondering who brought the airhead cheerleader from the stone age into the house. Wow. I wanted to shout out, "but I can rock on the guitar! Bring out Rockband please! I'm not old I promise!" Shortly there after we left.

I never thought in a room full of geeks I would be the loser. The times they are a changin' folks.

It's snowing too. Beautiful! I can feel the holiday spirit.

2 comments:

Jilly said...

that's funny

Unknown said...

I went to a LAN party a couple of weekends ago. Similar scene. Except mine could potentially be even more pathetic since I was the youngest one there. Yup...there were 30-somethings, 40-somethings, and even 50-somethings! We played a lot of old school games like Age of Empires. I ate crap food, drank Mountain Dew and energy drinks...and didn't leave until 2AM. It was great. The best part was his wife packing up the kids and leaving for the day/night...haha. I guess that's why it is only once per year. :)