Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Is it Christmas now?

Today Miles woke up at 6:20. He wanted to say good-bye to his dad. We ran in the dark and cold together, me in my pj's and Miles' party bear trailing behind us to the garage door. We flashed the lights but it was too late. Ryan was pulling out of the garage and closing the door.

I went to get my bathrobe and I heard the garage door re-open. Miles had been sitting on the stairs and was looking through the front door window. Looking ever so slightly forlorn. Apparently Ryan had seen this from the street and couldn't resist coming back. So I ran out to the living room not sure who the hell is getting into my house and see Ryan and Miles snuggling on the bottom steps.

Then Miles went to the living room window and saw that snow had fallen and stayed on the grass. He looked at me with the fattest hopeful smile. "Is it Christmas now?"

How perfectly 4 year old of him. I said, "sorry buddy not so much."

What a downer. I could hear the Debbie Downer music playing in his head. Wah wah wahhhhhh.. then he asked for a granola bar to soothe his pain.

If only easing disappointment were that easy for me. There would be granola bars in this house forever.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

it was such a sweet story at first. now I want a granola bar too...