Thursday, November 6, 2008

Oh California.

I have been paying attention to Proposition 8 in CA. It disgusts me. I can't believe a Democratic state would vote to overturn gay marriages. For real. San Francisco is there for crying out loud.

Why is it that people are so afraid of gay marriage? Do they think it will effect them in anyway? I can't imagine how? Ryan said that some people are concerned that if there was gay marriage then health insurance would increase, because of adding more coverage. Do you think gays and lesbians don't have jobs or health insurance? Please. Do they think because the bible says no that means they should say no too? But ask those folks how many of them were virgins on their wedding night. I know, I am reaching a bit. But I can guarantee there aren't that many people in the US who are living by the literal sense of the bible. IF there were, there would be a whole hell of a lot more Jehovah's Witnesses around. And we all know how we all feel about them knocking on our door.

Let's put it into a different perspective.

Ask your parents if they remember what it was like when two different races were married. Ask them what their parents thought of it or how they felt. I guarantee it wasn't the same as it is now. Civil rights, women's rights, etc., all were at the time thought to be wrong, against nature. People of color had no rights. Women had no rights. Look at it now. These are people's civil rights. Anyone hear the phrase....."there should be no mixing of church and state"?

Ryan and I are raising our kids to know it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if a white person wants to marry an Asian person, or two men want to be married, or two women. Maybe in 20 years gay marriage won't be a big deal. Just like interracial marriage isn't a big deal now.

Who of you would be on my side if there was a law that said that my marriage was wrong and should be overturned? Hmmmm.....

No comments: