Thursday, November 20, 2008

Crushes

AS I am sure you know I have been reading the books Twilight. Duh. Well the movie for the first book comes out tomorrow. I have seen the ads for the movie for months now. So when I read the book the movie characters were already in my head. I think the main actor is dreamy. *sigh* But Jill said no way. She didn't think that he was right for the main character.

The other day he was listed on People.com as one of the sexiest actors. She told me that was the first picture where she was like....."um yep that is him!" As if he were finally beautiful enough to be Edward.

So it got me thinking....are we crushing on the actor because he is pretty or are we, in our minds, equating him to our beloved book character? I mean Heather had this actor on a key chain for crying out loud. I didn't get it until I read the book and now....hello?.....key chain me please. And for that matter....the said actor was in a Harry Potter movie. Looking just as darling but I didn't have the come hither thought then.

I have always had my tv/movie star crushes for as long as I can remember. Well pretty much since puberty. My first? River Phoenix. Mmmmmm......pause.

But it went on from there. Looking back I have always wondered if it was the actor himself that I crushed on or the character he plays? I can say with much certainty that I loved Christian Slater no matter what kind of guy he played. I don't know why. I even watch that show he is in on Tv. Which incidentally has been canceled. But he had me first with Heathers. Because he was awesome. Then there was True Romance. I mean come on people! Brilliant!

But there have been times I will watch a movie with a crush in it and then find that ehhhh not so much anymore. Mostly because his hair was too long or his character was annoying. It happens.
The worst is when you have this notion no.....fantasy about a certain actor and then you see them on one of those late night talk shows and they just ruin it by being 'themselves'.

Case in point. Ryan has had a few crushes he has told me about. They are your standard. Selma Hayek type. But he did tell me about one I just have to talk about. He crushed on Elisabeth Shue. You know the one. Adventures in Babysitting, Leaving Las Vegas. Well he was thinking she was awesome too. Then one night we were watching Letterman, Leno I don't know, and she was being interviewed for something. I said....."hey it's your girlfriend!" We watched together. He in horror and I in hysterics. She was a complete idiot! I mean...dumb. Ha ha. I could see his crush disappearing before my very eyes. Poor Ryan.

I don't know where this is going........oh yeah....my new crush. Twilight dude. Movie and book. He hasn't said anything stupid that I have seen yet. And well......Love that Edward.

2 comments:

Jilly said...

OMG ... you're like sooo ... a teenage girl!!!

SJT said...

Seriously! Right?!!!!!!