Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Am I right or am I right?

Ryan has tried to convince me for many years that it is socially irresponsible for families to be extremely large. He thinks really large families use more natural resources then they should. I guess 'they' say you should really just repopulate the earth with yourself. Meaning you and your spouse should only birth 2 kids, and if you want more you should adopt so you don't add to the population. Does that make sense?

I don't know I guess I get it. It is a completely ethical and eco subject. Replenishing the earth and all. Not adding more then what you are already taking away. Ethically I feel people should be able to make their own decisions about family planning. I have friends who adopt to keep the population growth down and friends who will have children until they feel they are "done" having them.

Ok.....I have to preface it with....I am sorry if I offend. This is not meant to upset anyone.

There is a show that I watch with the kids. A great family show. Jon and Kate plus 8. It is on TLC. Love it. It is so funny. This couple, one being Korean so bonus for the kids to see that, had twins and sextuplets. Accidentally. They did fertilization and because their religious beliefs prohibit them from 'selection' they ended up with 8 kids. All pretty healthy kids too. They are funny and cute and like every other kid I have seen. And the parents yell at their kids and love them just like all other parents I have seen too.

I get it. It was an accident. They didn't WANT this to happen but it did and they went with it. Ok....fast forward a little and during commercial break I see a new ad for a new show.

17 AND COUNTING. What the hell?! Those damn Duggers. You know.....the family where the poor woman has been pregnant or nursing for the past 23 years and she looks about 33. Yes I know you know what I am talking about. I understand they have their religious beliefs and I am not sure which religion they are but really? 17 and counting? That is 17 kids mind you. All using up our natural resources. I get that back in the late 1800's and early 1900's you needed a large family to help on the farm, but I watched and episode just to see....and well those kids weren't farming. Unless you call Don Pablo's the homestead.

And the oldest just got engaged. He tells the camera that "his Lord doesn't think kissing before marriage is ok so they just do a lot of hand holding". Or something along those lines. They show the boy getting engaged and they hug. They frickin' hug!!!!!! That is it. Then out to Don Pablo's where they are seen praying in the restaurant and basically hand screw each other at the table. Cause they are JUST holding hands. No kissing until their wedding night.

I have no problem with a family being religious. No problem at all. But....what the hell? That is all this show is about. Religion and how they are going to keep having large families because that is what the Lord wants. And this one who just got engaged plans of having a large family too. His fiancee thinks it is a great idea. She is all on board. With her super long hair and super long skirt. But her face said to me...."holy shit!"

I get it though. If you weren't allowed to kiss until marriage, think about what sex will to do you. No wonder they have 17 kids. I am surprised they don't have more now that I think about it.

No comments: