Thursday, January 15, 2009

Joe

This post is about my brother in law Joe. He married my sister Sara many years ago and they have 6 year old boy Lincoln.

I have only met Joe twice in my life. And possibly spoken to him a few times on the phone. They live in California.

The first time I met Joe was when my sister had Lincoln. A friend of mine and I flew out to LA to see them. It was the first time any of the "sisters" had met Joe.

Joe was a nice guy. We bonded over My Life With the Thrill Kill Cult. And I lectured him about not sharing finances with my sister. He took us to all of his favorite places in Hollywood and all the "hip" places in LA. Sara took us shopping. We met his lovely family. All in all it was a nice trip. I liked LA but it was stinky and expensive. But I digress.

So then the following year, Sara, Joe, and Lincoln came to MN for Christmas. This was the second time I had seen him.

We took them Downtown Mpls for lunch. Sawatdee. Yummy right? And then we heard him talking to his family on the cell about how we took him "downtown" for lunch and then he laughed. Apparently he thought our downtown was laughable. I am sure it is, but it is what we have. And then he told them I lived in the country. THE COUNTRY! I live about 5 miles out of downtown St. Paul. Hardly the country.

Here is the best part. Ryan and Joe went to a movie. It was 45 degrees that day. Odd for December, but it was. When they got home, Joe was practically in tears because it was "so cold! Down to the bone cold!" And then he was baffled that Ryan didn't wear a coat. He vowed then and there he would never NEVER NEVER come back to MN in the winter. He thought it was too damn cold.

I was talking to Sara today and said to her....
"you know we are almost 100 degrees colder then you guys today!"
True story by the way. It is almost 90 in LA today. We laughed at the notion of Joe here in MN. 24 degrees below zero with a windchill of -45. Ha ha ha ha ha.

I said to Sara if he got off the plane I imagine he would just break into pieces with the cold, like someone had poured liquid nitrogen on him and then tapped him with a hammer. Poor Joe.

I told her I don't mind the cold. Once it is below zero it doesn't really matter if it is 5 below or 45 below. It just all feels the same. The only difference being how many times do I sniff in before my nose welds itself shut.

"Oh! Today is a 1 sniff day!" Cold. Poor Joe.

No comments: