Saturday, January 31, 2009

Caramel corn is the tradition!



Today we went to the Winter Carnival. Really...we went to see dripping ice sculptures. Or what was left of them. I had planned on going with the kids but thought below zero weather would be a bit much for them. So today was the day.

I had heard the weather would be 30 degrees today. Yay! Just cold enough to enjoy a hot cocoa but warm enough to have some feeling in my fingers before the day started. We decided to leave after lunch. Then I read from a Facebook friend's status that it was fricking 45 degrees out. Ah shit. It was going to be crowded as hell and....probably not much ice left to see.

But we packed the kids up sans hats and gloves, cause let's face it, they only wear that stuff if the threat of losing digits is used multiple times. Once downtown we found a great parking spot. My husband gave himself mad props for most of the day because of the parallel parking job he did. Lame. I could have done the same damn thing with my eyes shut and both kids screaming bloody murder in the back. But whatever. I'll give him this one.

Once we schleped up to Rice park we saw what was left of what I can only assume were beautiful ice sculptures. Most were falling apart. The ones that made it, had crowds around them making it impossible for 2 kids under 4 feet to see anything. Then we walked around the Landmark Center for what seemed to take all of 5 minutes. But shit...we paid 2 dollars in quarters for parking and we were going to get our 48 minutes worth! Needless to say there was little to be seen where we were at.

But we always get to the Winter Carnival. ALWAYS. We usually go to the Grande Day Parade, but didn't this year due to whatever. And at the end of the day we go to the Candyland shop to get swedish fish and caramel corn. I mean...Ryan and I did this before we had kids. Did I mention I love winter? Anyway...the line for the damn candy store was bigger then anywhere else we saw all day. So with treats in tow we headed back to our car. 8 minutes left on the meter.

Happy Winter Carnival to you, stranger who got our parking spot after us. You're welcome for a free 8 minutes. And suck it for honking at us to move faster!

No comments: