Friday, March 13, 2009

Ahhhhhhhhhh...........

Ok. I'm tired. I didn't sleep very well last night. If today me, told last night me about how today would go, I would have slept like a rock.

My kid is a medical freak of nature. First off...he woke up this morning and said...."is it my surgery today?" He was actually hopeful. Crazy.

Then he just played at the hospital and was very attentive when the anesthesiologist was talking. Weird. The doctor told us we may have to hold Miles down when the do the gas to put him out before the general anesthetic. I was not looking forward to that. But of course. Miles just laid there with party bear on his chest, (after he told the nurses that Pb can't be put under the hot blankets cause he was a polar bear and they only like cold). Well...he smiled as they gassed him. He told me he was floating. I asked him if he was flying the Y wing fighter and he let out a good giggle, and I felt his hand go limp. Then I cried. Shit...it sucks to see your little one pass out on a table with huge white lights on him. But I was assured I was not the first parent to get a little dewy. Let's hope his acceptance of the gas isn't an indication of him enjoying that feeling in the future....if you know what I mean.

Then about an hour later...done. His recovery time was weird. They kept him in the back alone until he completely woke up. That was about another 45 minutes. Then once we got back to him....he got dressed, had some juice, and asked to head home. I know, not many of us even adults, like to stay in the hospital longer then we need to.

Once home, I swear to you, it was like nothing happened. He didn't complain of pain. He started playing with toys and begged for some food. The docs had warned to start with clear liquids and soda crackers. We did. And after half a sleeve of soda crackers he was asking for more. Something that tasted better. Laughable.

We told him that this weekend would consist of a Star Wars movie marathon, and whatever he wanted to eat. We meant WHATEVER. I mean he's 4 1/2 and he had surgery for crap's sake. So if he wants Doritos and McDonald's for 2 days...he gets it. I did squeeze a bowl of grapes in there. (yay mom)

So...the promise of watching unlimited Star Wars and eating crap for 2 days helped him become one with his surgery and recovery. Huh...piece of cake. I would post a photo, but he said no.

1 comment:

Dan Wallek said...

Miles is awesome!!! Way to go Champ! Glad things went well today.