Thursday, March 5, 2009

It's gonna be St. Patricks day

I'm adopted. My kids are adopted. My 3 sisters are adopted. We were all adopted from Korea and we like it. Well.....I guess I can only speak for myself, and maybe my youngest sister. We like it. I am still trying everyday to convince my kids THEY too will like it. I guess it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of brainwashing...errrr......teaching my kids about life.

The reasoning behind this post you ask....easy.

I hate St. Patrick's day. And it's coming. Soon.

Maybe "hate" is a strong word. I have a very healthy hearty aversion to it. For the reason stated above. It will be a common theme throughout this post.

When chatting with my hair stylist last night, she was going on and on about how much she LOVES St. Patrick's day. The only holiday really where there is no family expectation, and no gift giving. She pretty much admits she likes the demand free holiday. Hey....who doesn't? But...this one I have to sit out for.

Like I said...I'm adopted. My parents are about as white as you please. My mother is 100% Irish and my dad just about that German. So...maybe you can see where this is leading? Maybe not.

When my sister and I were kids, say kindergarten through 5th grade, we had to wear green on the 17th of March. To school. With buttons, that said shit on them...like..."KISS ME I'M IRISH" or "POWER TO THE LITTLE PEOPLE". And of course at that age we were too small to fight back. Damn you small stature! Curse you and all you bring with you!

To make matters worse, we grew up in white suburbia in the 70's. Yep. No color to be seen for miles and miles. Just us. We were it. And sure as shit on the 17th of March we were made to "fit" in with the rest of the kids who probably were a small portion Irish. They probably didn't look completely ridiculous clad in kelly green with buttons all over the place. Did I mention we were adopted in the 70's? When parents were told to "acclimate" their kids and "make" them fit in?

I say, way to scar a girl for life. St. Patrick's day should be a day of fun and frolic and drunken antics. But for me.....I refuse to have any green within 10 miles of my kids and myself. I want to burn the little fricking headband my mom has with bobbling shamrocks on them. And I never answer the phone when the caller ID tells me it's my parents. I know if I do....on the other end will be the most torturous rendition of "Happy St. Patrick's Day to you" a la the birthday song. I shit you not.

So I will remain in my house. Shut off from the world that day, unless we get a call from a certain friend who loves his Irish beer and needs a ride home from Downtown St. Paul. The Irish capital of MN. Damn him.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I guess I know who I'm calling if I need a ride from one bar to another.

Anonymous said...

Unfortuately that friend forgot to take off the 17th, so I'm pretty sure your safe!!