Saturday, February 7, 2009

Ah Crap. I'm that old lady.

It started off ok. Dropping the kids off so we could have a date without kids. Hasn't happened in over a year.

We headed to Target. Cause what date doesn't involve shopping for light bulbs and breakfast food? Then we went out for dinner. At 5:15pm. It was just about 45 minutes shy of the early bird special I imagine. But dinner was nice.

We sat next to this family of 4. Mom, dad, a 5 year old boy and a 2 year old girl. Sound familiar? Well... if Ryan and I thought we were going to have a kid free night, we were sadly mistaken. The restaurant we went to isn't the traditional tables all over the place with adequate space kinda set up. The tables are all in a line against a wall next to each other. There is little space between each table. Just a little under arms length. Which is no big deal. Except for the fact, a few times during dinner I felt like we had OUR kids with us. Oh we went to Ingredients in White Bear Lake for those of you who know it.

The boy started humming Star Wars. Really. I shit you not. Humming the song just like Miles. Then the girl was making googly eyes at Ryan and me most of the night, while throwing her "blankie" on the floor by us. And....then the kids would just spontaneously start chatting with us. Just for no reason. And I have to say....the parents said..."I think they are on a date, you should let them be." But that was in the beginning of the dinner. Then not a peep from them for the rest of the meal when their kid started telling me all about his Star Wars video games.

Moving on....after dinner, straight to the grocery AGAIN cause I forgot something. But we had no kids so why not? Then on to the Dian's.

We got there around 7:30. The Dian's and the Breymeier's were already in party mode. Ryan and I were so full from dinner, we waited a bit to commence with the drinking. So we sat there kinda in a food coma. But the night wore on and yelling and shenanigans ensued. Still not much drinking. But I kid you not......about 3 hours into it...Ryan and I were done. It was like someone flipped a switch. All my yelling, insult throwing, sassy pants, and monkey business was gone. What was left was me missing my kids and wanting to go to bed.

I looked at Ryan and I could tell he was just trying to stay awake. Like years ago when he worked nights and we would hang out with the Dian's, and Ryan would do everything he could to keep his eyes open. This was like those nights.

So we left. Right in the middle of a full swing party. I justified it with....I'm tired, we have to get the kids in Fridley and drive all the way back to Woodbury. So yeah...I'm old. It's just down hill from here.

2 comments:

Jilly said...

Maybe if I would've gone to bed when you left I wouldn't have puked for four hours this morning. I'm gonna be an old lady from now on!

SJT said...

Welcome. Welcome.