Thursday, February 19, 2009

My friend bought an 800 dollar coat!

Yes you read that right. Holy shit you say? How could someone spend 800$ on ONE coat? I don't know....but HE did.

It's a Burberry coat. Nothing special. Wool, knee length, and black. Buttons. That's about it.

He tried to tell me that he first purchased a coat for 150$, but that it was crap and his wife told him so. And then they went to the MOA to shop for a coat, and his wife "made" him buy the coat. He also told me that he "needed" to get a black coat for a job he was doing. And he isn't some type of mob boss or government official. So why he needed a black knee length coat is beyond me. I guarantee he wasn't able to expense it either.

His wife was with us when he told the story and she assures me, that is NOT how it happened. Of course she shouldn't talk, she just got done telling me how she felt bad about spending so much on her new Coach bag. Not purse...bag. But needless to say...he walked out of the store with an 800$ coat. Oh wait....did I mention it was 50% off? So really he got himself a 1600$ coat.

I say....fucking unbelievable. I gave him quite a bit of shit for it. But then kinda felt bad, cause well....it's his money. He can do whatever he wants with it.

I guess it's all a matter of what your priorities are with how you spend your money. I, for instance would use 800$ to pay for, oh I don't know...bills, groceries, preschool. Nothing too fun or extravagant but necessary. To some. Like me.

Maybe I am a bit jealous. In this economy to be ABLE to spend money like that is a luxury. I do have to admit...I HAVE FRIENDS LIKE THIS. They have to have the best of everything. And usually the best requires the most expensive. And no, they are not in the poor house and using tons of credit. They just have the money. Ok, now, yes I am jealous. That must be kinda nice. To not have to think about money or worry about it. Nice. Little jealous.

I just wrote about it cause....damn. 800$ For a coat!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Though I understand your astonishment, I think you should empathize with what may be his real motivation. Quality, timelessly styled clothing like that coat(I think) is exactly that... quality, timeless. It lasts for a lifetime and never looks bad if you know what you're doing. I'm beginning to follow the same mantra... sans wife.

The alternative is to buy into a culture that values the cheap, trendy, disposable. I want the former.