Sunday, February 15, 2009

Mead



Ryan and his best friend from childhood, Nick, make mead. They have been doing it for as long as I have known Ryan and probably longer then that.

If you don't know what mead is...it's a honey wine/beer. I am not such a fan. I hate honey so....there ya go. But everyone else who has tried it loves it. With the exception of Nick's wife. (That HAS to be the reason we are best friends too.)

Ryan and Nick have even won awards for their Hoppy Mead. They won 1st place in mead and 2nd best in show at the State Fair in 2003. I guess it's THAT good. They make it every year and sometimes if things are flush they do it 2 times a year.

They have made all different kinds. Berry, Hoppy, Spice, Wheat-Barley-Oak, Cranberry Pear, and the never ingested coffee mead. Yes yes that one was a mistake.

So....my point with this post. My husband and his best friend make booze. I don't like it. It is sticky and makes my kitchen a huge mess. Thank god they have started making it at Nick's house. Tonight we went over to their house to bottle. I do not bottle. I and Jill usually go shopping.

We leave the kids with the guys, and shop or go and see a movie. For some reason, we have to remind the guys when we leave, they are in charge of 3 kids and should not under any circumstance be drunk when we get back. Sad we have to "remind" them of this cause we have, on occasion come back to Ryan being intoxicated and kids running a muck. Why it's always Ryan is a mystery to me. Thank you Nick for remaining sober while my kids are in your care.

Tonight they bottled almost 4 cases of it. And it will be gone in the next few months. Easily. They assured us they made it less alcoholic this time to end up with more bottles. But something tells me they will be just as shit faced as they usually are when drinking this stuff.

Just a little glimpse into my life. My husband is a computer geek, who claims he is "within the law" with his liquor makin'.

I found a really cool photo I took years ago of their mead. Bottles and bottles of it. Isn't it pretty?

1 comment:

Goldilocks5150 said...

One of Dann's acquaintances / friends made lilac mead last year that was evidently to die for, you should mention that to the boys! :)