Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I am usually right

Claire was standing on a two level step stool tonight investigating the Christmas tree.

She was right in front of it peering through it to see ornaments on the back of the tree. I walked by her and said, "I would like you to get off that chair. You could fall and get hurt." Pretty standard mom speak.

Without hesitation she replied, "I won't mom. I am very careful!" It wasn't like she was reassuring me, she was more or less lecturing me. How DARE I tell her what to do. She KNEW what she was doing.

5 minutes later I hear clang clink jingle. She fell into the tree. Ornaments and Claire came crashing to the ground.

She promptly began bawling like I had thrown her across the room into the tree on purpose, or that me telling her not to do it had jinxed her. Oh well....super dad to the rescue. I just kept making dinner and proceeded to tell her I don't say things like this for my health. I do it because....I am usually right.

Hello. I AM my mother.

2 comments:

Jilly said...

I think you do say those things for your health ... and you are your mother. We all are.

Kathy said...

she's right.
sad but true, we are all our mothers. (and yes i have been on the receiving end of that lecture from my 2 yo as well)