Thursday, December 11, 2008

I make fun of people like this.

I don't understand when it happened. Have we always been hippies? I mean I cut my hair off and everything. And yet....my daughter still comes into my bed every night and sleeps.


People....we have a *gasp* "family bed".

My sister and her husband have a "family bed". I think just recently their 6 year old started sleeping in a bed of his own. But my sister lives in the Valley with all the REAL hippies in CA and it is totally acceptable for them do such monkey business. I on the other hand would tease her relentlessly. Here is a snippet of the conversations we would have.

"Is Lincoln out of your bed yet?"

"No. He can't sleep alone yet."

"Sara! What the fuck is wrong with you? Do you still breast feed him too?"

Sara would laugh, but not in the "your right" kind of way. More in a "if I laugh at her she won't realize all the other shit I am doing way."

Don't get me wrong. I love my sister and I do like a good hippie, but I do not share my bed with my kids! That has been a rule for ever. It started with my parents. They never let us sleep in their bed. NEVER! Unless we were sick and it was during the day.

Miles never slept in our bed. He would come into our room at night and then sleep on the floor next to us. But never in our bed.

Then Claire. She is up so much and is so bossy. I don't have the strength or energy to get rid of her. And half the time I don't even know she is in bed with me until early in the morning. She is a sneaky little devil too.

But I have become a huge hypocrite. I bet my sister is getting a huge laugh right about now. The only benefit of the "family bed" that I can see is, Claire keeps me a little warmer at night. It is freezing in here.

Seriously though? I used to totally make fun of you hippies who slept with your kids on PURPOSE. And I still might a little. But take solace in the fact, I kind of get it, I'm just rude.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha....i hope you're eating granola and going vegetarian too! Btw-yoga's really good to start your day off with. He's been out of my bed for over a year now! Thank you very much!!!

SJT said...

Sara!!!! I know that is you. Anonymous my ass.